Bacterial cell death- as programmed?

LOCKSHIN, RICHARD A YPRLBIO at sjumusic.stjohns.edu
Sat Feb 11 11:32:09 EST 1995

It is difficult to understand your question, but I would return
by asking you two questions: 1.  How could you tell that an
individual bacterium has died?  2.  Why would you assume that this
death might be programmed?  It strikes me that, for an organism
1-10 um in size, any weakness in its energetics would condemn it
to death by osmotic lysis or protein precipitation owing to loss
of control of intracellular pH.
Richard A. Lockshin/Dept. Biol. Sci. St. John's U. 8000 Utopia Pkwy
Jamaica NY 11439 USA/Phone 718: 990-1854/ Fax 718: 380-8543