WATER COHESION

Olaf Reger alf at PI
Wed Feb 15 19:29:59 EST 1995

On 9 Feb 1995, Gertrude R. Battaly wrote:

> HOW DOES LIQUID WATER BECOME COHESIVE?
>

> MIRJANA
> AP BIO

Well, as far as I can remember, the charge of the water molecule is
responsible for the cohesion. Since the O is pretty stongly negativly
charged, please refer to books about how much it is charged, and the two
H are consequently positivly charged, neighbouring molecules attract each
other. These kind of molecules, please correct me when I am wrong here,
are called DIPOLE(S). They act a little bit like a magnet, where opposite
poles attract each other. If you need more specific information, any good
basic chemistry text book should have something about dipoles and
van-der-Waals. These are the two important forces responsible for
cohesion and adhesion.

Cheers
	Olaf
                           ^
                         cO Ob
| Karl Olaf Reger                        		  |
| CSIRO Devision of Plant Industry       		  |
| GPO Box 1600                        Tel (06) 246 5376   |
| Canberra ACT 2601                   Fax (06) 246 5000   |
| Cnr Clunies Ross ST and Barry DR 			  |
| e-mail: alf at pican.pi.csiro.au				  |