Catalase

Marc Brutschy brutschy at ix.netcom.com
Fri Feb 17 23:36:26 EST 1995

Please forgive a chemist for perhaps picking the wrong newsgroup for
this question.  I've tried sci.chem and no one has responded.  :-(

Can anyone tell me if the enzyme catalase is metal-based?  I am trying
to track down the source of contamination in an ultra-trace metals
analysis (part per billion level).  Someone I work with said she thought
catalase, which I use to eliminate excess hydrogen peroxide, is based on
heme (containing Fe).

The catalase I use (from SIGMA) is dark green, suggesting possibly Cu or
Fe.  I have to acidify my samples with nitric acid to pH2 after I add
catalase, and I'm worried that when I denature the protein I release
the metal into my samples.  My reagent blanks are surprisingly high in
Cu.  This could be from many sources, but I'm specifically worried about
catalase.

Any help would be *greatly* appreciated.  Please respond by e-mail, if
possible.  I would read these news groups more often, but I have no idea
what any of you are talking about!   :-P

Thanks!

Marc Brutschy
brutschy at ix.netcom.com