CALL FOR DISCUSSION: SCHISTOSOMA/bionet.organisms.schistosoma

BIOSCI Administrator biosci-help at net.bio.net
Mon Feb 20 15:01:27 EST 1995

We have received a proposal below for a new newsgroup,

SCHISTOSOMA/bionet.organisms.schistosoma

This proposal represents the end of the trial period for the SCHISTO
prototype newsgroup at net.bio.net.  The mailing list will either
proceed through our discussion/voting process and become a full
newsgroup (USENET group plus mailing list) or be shut down if it fails
the vote.

Discussion on the following proposal will now be open through 5 March
on BIOFORUM/bionet.general (*not* on BIONEWS/bionet.announce).  For
those who are not on the BIOFORUM/bionet.general newsgroup currently,
either read bionet.general on USENET or contact one of the following
biosci addresses to sign up by e-mail:

Subscription Address                 Location
--------------------                 --------
biosci at daresbury.ac.uk               Europe, Africa, and Central Asia
biosci at net.bio.net                   Americas and the Pacific Rim

One warning, however: BIOFORUM/bionet.general is a "chatty" newsgroup
and many other items will be discussed there besides this newsgroup
proposal.  USENET news access is definitely better than e-mail if you
want to monitor only this discussion.

Discussion Guidelines
---------------------
Please do not post one-line messages saying things like "I am in favor
of such a newsgroup".  We will collect votes later.  The discussion
period is an opportunity for anyone to bring up reservations about the
proposed charter below and to propose modifications prior to the vote.
If the charter is perfect as is, then there is no need for anyone to
say anything!!!

The newsgroup discussion leader may submit a revised proposal in light
of the discussion, and the new charter would be included in the call
for votes which will go out on 6 March (Newsgroup Discussion
leaders - please note this deadline - if no revisions are received
before the deadline, the original charter will be voted on.).

Please be aware that only one vote is counted per e-mail address, so
it is necessary to have your own account in order to vote.  Multiple
votes from the same address are not accepted.  If you are interested
in the following newsgroup, but do not have an e-mail address of your
own, please obtain one from your computer center before the call for
votes is issued.

Proposed e-mail addresses:   schisto at net.bio.net
                             schisto at daresbury.ac.uk

Discussion Leaders:

Werner Kunz             e-mail: Werner.Kunz at uni-duesseldorf.de
Christoph Grevelding   	e-mail: Christoph.Grevelding at uni-duesseldorf.de
Lutz Gohr               e-mail: Lutz.Gohr at uni-duesseldorf.de

Heinrich-Heine-Universitaet
Institut fuer Genetik
Universitaetsstrasse 1
40225 Duesseldorf
Germany

Telephones :	49-211-311-2333
                49-211-311-3070
 	        49-211-311-2408

Telefax :  	49-211-311-2333

Newsgroup charter:

Welcome to SCHISTOSOMA, a newsgroup created for the purpose of
information exchange between Schistosoma researchers. Scientists are
welcomed to participate in this worldwide forum for any kind of
information exchange as proposals, announcements, offers, the
discussion of various problems and requests for any biological
material or information concerning schistosomes. We intend to focus
the common interests of all scientists working in this area towards a
faster communication.

Formation of the intended newsgroup will provide :

- a source of quick help on methodological problems, practical advices
  and experiences.
- a forum for the discussion of ideas, problems and recent developments
  in Schistosoma research.
- a means for sharing strains, molecular reagents, etc.
- a further opportunity for collaborative efforts between labs.
- a bulletin board for any announcements concerning meetings,
  congresses or job offers, etc. in this field.

Topics should cover :

- Biochemistry
 - Culturing
  - Developmental Biology
   - Epidemiology
    - Evolution
     - Genetics
      - Host-Parasite-Interaction
       - Immunology
        - Medicine
         - Miscellaneous
          - Molecular Biology
           - Physiology
            - Taxonomy

The newsgroup is expected to run unmoderated, but we are willing to act as
current coordinators.