**poll**

Spike White spike at hal.com
Tue Feb 21 17:58:14 EST 1995

Brian K. Yoder (byoder at netcom.com) wrote:
: Strict oversight?  By whom?  Why?  What short of absolute insanity (or
: government regulations) could cause a bank to print more demand certificates
: for its gold than there's gold to pay it back with?  Of course someone
: could try to pull a scam where they essentially drained all the money out of
: the bank and fled, but laws against fraud and oversight by a board of
: directors would be far more effective and far more sensible than unleasing
: an army of pointless clueless useless bureaucrats on the banking system.

I think someone forgot about the recent S&L debacle.  In many instances,
exactly what you describe was done.

Laws against fraud and oversight by BODs don't penalize if they flee to a
country w/o an extradition treaty w/ the US.

--
Spike White       | spike at hal.com               |  Biker Nerds From
HaL Computer Corp |                             |     HaL