chloroplasts in humans?

Bob rhayden at ucsd.edu
Fri Feb 24 19:47:55 EST 1995

This might actually be quite ludicrous, but I wonder,
would it be possible to indroduce chloroplasts into
eukaryotic cells? An abundance of functional chloroplasts
in epidermal tissue could provide a means of reducing the
amount of CO2 we have to exhale and also introducing
glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate into glycolysis, ultimately
lowering the required dietary intake of glucose...A sun
tan and a meal all in one!

Choloplasts multiply like mitochondria right? That is,
the chloroplasts are self-replicating and independant of
the genome... Therefore one would only need to introduce
a few chloroplasts into the zygote (female right?) and
embryological development would initiate the multiplication,
etc... A way would have to be discovered to target the
chloroplasts to the skin tissue though...

If one can create luciferase producing plants (glowing plants),
i mean nothing really is impossible...

Hmmmm, there's always the possibility it may happen through
evolution, maybe we can just speed it up a bit :)

Comments?????? Laughs?

Bob