Electrophoresis Gel?

Martin Kennedy mkennedy at chmeds.ac.nz
Mon Feb 27 05:13:03 EST 1995

In article <3ijn3a$abc at ixnews3.ix.netcom.com>, Fegan1 at ix.netcom.com (Jim Fegan) writes:
> 	Our teacher is running on a short budget though, and she is
> reluctant about the use of agarose gel because of it's cost.  Our lab
> group was looking for a possible alternative to the agarose.  Our ideas
> were few, and we even tried geletine, but it ended up melting under the
> current.
> 	Does anyone know of a gel that would provide a suitable matrix
> for the electrophoresis?  If you could email me any suggestions you
> might have, I would greatly appreciate it.
>
> Thank you in advance,
> Jim

Agarose is a purified component of good old-fashioned bacteriological agar,
and I believe agar works quite well for DNA gels (though I've never been
driven to try it).  It would certainly be a lot cheaper than agarose.  If
you use agarose, and run the gels clean of DNA, you can recycle them -
either as is, or by remelting and pouring them.  I wouldn't recommend
either method for serious experiemnts though!

--
Cheers,

Martin

		Phone (64-3)364-0880   Fax (64-3)364-0750