Sheep Pregnant by People and the Philosohy of Science

Rob Jordan jordan at mbcrr.harvard.edu
Sat Feb 25 12:26:49 EST 1995

In article <zalnasky-2502951221490001 at mac-burl-34.dfci.harvard.edu>,
zalnasky at mbcrr.harvard.edu (Matt Zalnasky) wrote:

> In article <Pine.3.89.9502210901.A539000046-0100000 at melia.qut.edu.au>,
> DARBEN at MELIA.QUT.EDU.AU wrote:
>

> > ... but I think the basic question has yet to be answered
> >- has science digressed so far from its role as a means of answering
> questions, > that we can no  longer perform this function for the people
> who need it the   > most

 Peter,

 I agree. Communicating scientific ideas to the lay public is a skill which
 should be emphasized more in our training. I guess the key is to develope
 analogies that everyone can understand.

 Communicating ideas requires that the student be willing to listen. It
 seems that many people would rather listen to a charismatic phsychic than
 a knowledgable scientist. In my opinion,it will be a tough battle to win
 back the publics trust. I would bet that whatever explanation is given as
 to why sheep and humans can't mate and produce offspring will not satisfy
 the people at the waste treatement plant. Do you think they are really
interested or just in it for laughs?

 Rob J.

 Sorry I forgot to change the personal infomation on our mail reader.