PART 2 - MODERATING THE BIOSCI/bionet NEWSGROUPS

Rob Harper harper at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Feb 27 11:41:31 EST 1995

In article <3io1tc$iei at nntp.Stanford.EDU>, cherry at stout.Stanford.EDU
(Mike Cherry) writes:
>In article <3ikl5s$i3v at decaxp.harvard.edu>,

>I do agree that the whole news system needs to be dropped and a new
>system used.  The whole system is more or less as it was 15 years ago
>when there were only a couple hundred newsgroups.  I'm not sure what
>the system will be but I feel it should include less focus on
>particular news groups and more on automatic keyword/content
>searching.

The EBI Netnews filtering service lets you enter keywords via the WWW
and search for them in the Bionet/Sci/EMBnet.

http://www.ebi.ac.uk/sift/index.html

You can leave the keywords as a standing order for a year, and any time
anybody posts an article with you key word in it then a short abstact
of the message will be sent to you.

Some other useful places on the WEB which deal with filtering are

University of Maryland Information Filtering Project at
http://www.glue.umd.edu/enee/medlab/filter/filter.html

News Weeder at
http://anther.learning.cs.cmu.edu/ifhome.html

RGDS -=ROB=-