Rob Harper harper at
Mon Feb 27 11:41:31 EST 1995

In article <3io1tc$iei at nntp.Stanford.EDU>, cherry at stout.Stanford.EDU
(Mike Cherry) writes:
>In article <3ikl5s$i3v at>,

>I do agree that the whole news system needs to be dropped and a new
>system used.  The whole system is more or less as it was 15 years ago
>when there were only a couple hundred newsgroups.  I'm not sure what
>the system will be but I feel it should include less focus on
>particular news groups and more on automatic keyword/content

The EBI Netnews filtering service lets you enter keywords via the WWW
and search for them in the Bionet/Sci/EMBnet.

You can leave the keywords as a standing order for a year, and any time
anybody posts an article with you key word in it then a short abstact
of the message will be sent to you.

Some other useful places on the WEB which deal with filtering are

University of Maryland Information Filtering Project at

News Weeder at