How abundant are bacteria in terms of biomass?

CURTIS SUTTLE curtis at UTMSI.ZO.UTEXAS.EDU
Tue Feb 28 13:51:46 EST 1995

There are a number of papers that have examined the relative abundance of
bacteria vs other organisms in the marine environment.  It turns out that
the total biomass of bacteria in the marine environment is about the same
as all other organisms combined, or perhaps larger in some situations.  I
don't have the references immediately at hand but can dig them out, if
you wish; they were in the late 80s, early 90s, as I recall.  One was a
Nature or Science paper by Cho and Azam, Another was by Fuhrman et al. in
Marine Ecology Progress Series, and another was by Li, WKW in Deep Sea
Research.

Hope this helps ... Curtis

                   _
   | \            |_____OO\________        Curtis Suttle
    \ o o o o         LONGHORN O /         Univ of Texas @ Austin
     \                        VV/          Port Aransas  TX 78373
~~~~~~\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~/~~~~~  curtis at utmsi.zo.utexas.edu