Tick removel

Candace Krepel ckrepel at post.its.mcw.edu
Tue Feb 28 17:23:34 EST 1995

dscolvin at rain.org wrote:
: I recently read an article in an outdoor magazine (letter to the editor)
: regarding the removal of ticks. The letter says that using trichlorethane
: (typewriter key cleaning fluid) kills the tick immediately and allows it
: to be picked off - immediately.  We have tried every method in the books
: and it always seems to lead to some problem, ie. head left under skin, etc.
: This letter goes on to say that the trichlorethane penetrates the hair
: follicle which is below the surface of the skin and will also kill any
: virsuses.  This sounds pretty good for Lymes disease and Rocky Mountain
: Spotted fever - but is it to good to be true?

Rocky Mountain spotted fever is caused by Rickettsia rickettsii, which is an
obligate intracellular parasite, living in the endothelial cells lining the
blood vessels.  Lyme disease is caused by the spirochete Borrelia
burgdorferi, which can be found in the patient's blood and cerebrospinal
fluid.
	When I was a child returning home from summer camp, my father
removed the ticks from my head with a match.  He lit the match, blew it out,
then touched the hot matchhead to the tick's body, at which point the tick
removed its head from my scalp.  My father grabbed it with pliers and
squished it.  Very effective.

Candy Krepel
Surgical Microbiology Research Lab, Medical College of Wisconsin
ckrepel at post.its.mcw.edu