Your Announcement and Proposed Changes

DrHeasley fheasley at chemistry.com
Tue Feb 28 09:26:28 EST 1995

As a scientist, and executive search consultant, I devote considerable
amounts of time to reviewing and participating in various bionet groups,
bionet.jobs in particular.

Quite frankly, I'm having a hard time finding the distinction between
"commercial" and "non-commercial" content.

Is it the premise of the academic community that earning a living
by working in a government job is somehow better than working for a
company or for yourself to earn a profit by your labor?  Then why are
so many academicians striving to get research contracts from corporations?
Why are my email and USPS mail full of the resumes and C.V.'s of postdocs
professors, assistant professors and other university types desperate to
find jobs in industry?

Clearly, blatant "in your face" advertising only
serves to annoy everyone.  However, it is important to recognize that
advertising of that type also serves to alienate the very market that the
advertiser seeks to cultivate.  It's a self-limiting activity: those who
attempt to work in this way ultimately fail.

I suggest that you need not embroil yourself in the contention
between "commercial" and "non-commercial" entities.  The argument against
"commercial" use of the net is just another tool used by the academic
sector to compete with the business sector. The profit motive is alive
and operational in both cases.

Frank Heasley, Ph.D.                      fheasley at chemistry.com
President                                 FREE Biotech Online Job Service:
The Franklin Search Group, Inc. c/o BSI   http://www.gate.net/biotech-jobs/
300 NW 82nd Ave, Suite 402                FAX: 305-434-4840
Plantation, FL 33324                      Voice: 305-434-5332

The whole of Science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking.
        -Albert Einstein, 1936