Oil-eating Pseudomonads?

Peter Holubar holubar at mail.boku.ac.at
Mon Jan 2 12:07:47 EST 1995

In article <3dca56$ce6 at mark.ucdavis.edu>, szcooley at dale.ucdavis.edu (Michael Cooley) says:

>Several years ago someone engineered an oil-eating Pseudomonad. Do you
>know any detail about it? We would like to know to how and to what degree
>it was altered and whether it is still in use today. Was it used in the
>Valdez incident in Alaska?

Hi Michael,

I work with oil degrading mixed cultures of bacteria, especially pseudomonads.
I think the guy you mentioned was A.M. Chakrabarty, who patented his gene
construct in pseudomonads in 1973 (or maybe 1976).
One of his publications is:
Chakrabarty et al, 1973, Proc.Natl.Acad.Sci. 70:1137-1140.

I hope this will help,
Peter