The Scientist <Human cDNA sequencing>

Mark Dalton mwd at cray.com
Tue Jan 3 12:40:44 EST 1995

Eddy Sean (sre at al.cam.ac.uk) wrote:
: article <3e7p5h$e54 at access1.digex.net> enews at access1.digex.net (enews) writes:
:   >Venter predicts the protests will lessen over time. He
:   >notes that the Howard Hughes Medical Institute has
:   >agreed to the terms, as have a number of universities.
:   >"As people look at it closely, the issues go away, and
:   >the initial emotional responses from the publicity
:   >that's been generated by Merck and others totally
:   >vanishes, because all the data's available to academic
:   >scientists anywhere in the world," Venter says. "Over
:   >half the data has no strings attached to it at all...

: What I want for my work -- and others, I am sure, are in similar
: positions -- is access to the entire EST database for analysis with my
: own software. As far as I know, this is not possible, even if I sign a
: "Level Two" access agreement with TIGR/HGS/SKB.

: For every major model organism *except* the human, cDNA and genomic
: sequence data are being put in public databases -- yeast, fly, worm,
: E. coli, and so on. The virtual absence of human data when 350,000+
: sequences currently exist in TIGR, HGS, and SKB computers is a
: painful, frustrating situation.

Perhaps, people sequences for non-profits should start 'copy-lefting'
their DNA and Amino Acid sequences.  Perhaps slightly modified, which
instead say that:
	These sequences cannot be used in a 'for-profit' database
	or any proprietary (non-public) release database.

I think this would at least make them really think.

Just a idea.

Mark
-------- ( Ideas are definetly my own, don't blame anyone else) ---------
Mark Dalton       CH3-S-CH2 H H                    H      O       H
Cray Research,Inc.      |   | |                    |       \      |
Los Alamos,NM 87544     CH2-C-COO    //\ ---C--CH2-C-COO    C-CH2-C-COO
mwd at cray.com                | |     |  ||   ||     |       //     |
                            H NH2    \\/ \ / CH    NH3    O       NH3
                                          NH
URL = http://lenti.med.umn.edu/~mwd/mwd.html