black squirrels

Jack Warner jwarner at freenet.columbus.oh.us
Wed Jan 4 22:00:23 EST 1995

Eric R. Hugo (e_hugo at dsu1.dsu.nodak.edu) wrote:
: mathog at seqvax.caltech.edu (David Mathog) wrote:

: >
: >Each Christmas we travel to my wife's parents' house in San Jose, CA.
: >There are a lot of old trees in that neighborhood, and many many squirrels.
: >I vaguely recall my in-laws mentioning several years ago that there was a
: >black squirrel about, two years ago I saw one, and this year they appeared
: >to make up about half of the squirrel population.  The "normal" squirrels
: >are grey, but the black ones are a very dark coal-black color.  In
: >addition, and this is based on just watching them - no measurements, the
: >black ones are slightly smaller, and their tails are slightly less bushy...

: There is a black variety (melanistic color phase) known in the Eastern Gray
: Squirrel (Sciurus carolinensis) that is common in some parts of its range.
:  I've seen these critters in Ontario, Canada (Bruce Penn. area)
:  and I think in Michigan.
: 				Eric

: 				Eric

: e_hugo at dsu1.dsu.nodak.edu\ | | \\  // | | //  \\ | | \\  // | | //  \\ | |
: Asst. Professor, Biology  \\ | :,\\': | //      \\ | :,\\': | //      \\ |
: Dickinson State University  \\ //  \\ //          \\ //  \\ //          \\
: Dickinson, ND  58601    |PGP 2.6 Key available from most key servers

   I've only see one black squirrel ever that I recall, and I've seen it
twice while bike riding in a suburb of Columbus Ohio this summer.