female:male ratio in ant colonies

Kent E Morrison kmorriso at harp.aix.calpoly.edu
Fri Jan 6 17:08:44 EST 1995

In E. O. Wilson's autobiography "Naturalist" he describes
the ratio of females to males in ant colonies as being
explained by maximization of the common inheritance of
the workers. Work of Hamilton in 1964 and then Trivers about
ten years later was mentioned.

If this is a simple argument, I wonder whether someone
would be willing to give me a short explanation to save
me looking up the papers, which I may have to get from
interlibrary loan. If it is not a simple argument, then
I will look up the references.

Please e-mail me.

Thanks,

Kent Morrison

Kent Morrison                           kmorriso at oboe.calpoly.edu
Math Dept                               office: (805) 756-2464
Cal Poly                                dept:   (805) 756-2206
San Luis Obispo, CA 93407               fax:    (805) 756-6537