black squirrels

Margaret Carter mcarter at surf.ssw.uwo.ca
Fri Jan 6 12:31:18 EST 1995

In article <05JAN95.10589500.0030 at sjumusic.stjohns.edu>,
LOCKSHIN, RICHARD A <YPRLBIO at sjumusic.stjohns.edu> wrote:
>In article <3ee8nu$l6t at usenet.ucs.indiana.edu> gilbertd at sunflower.bio.indiana.edu (Don Gilbert) writes:
etc
snip

I grew up in Southwestern Ontario (Sarnia and London) and thought until
well into my teens that all squirrels were black.  Grey's started
appearing here about 15 years ago into an entirely black population and
are almost as common now as the black variety.  As for differences in
size, I think it's just a difference in fur desity, since in the winter
here the apparent size difference is more notable.  This fits in with the
bushier tail observation.

BTW, I spend a good deal of time further north through the summer, and
neither black nor grey are seen north of about Perry Sound.  Here there
are only red squirrels, a very very shy, pettit squirrel, looking more
like a chipmonk in size and body shape and a beautiful auburn colour.
They are very vocal and inclined to chirp at you from a nearby tree
when you invade their territory.

Margaret Carter
no sig, no time.