Praying mantises

Brent Upperman bupperma at freenet.columbus.oh.us
Sun Jan 8 20:51:11 EST 1995

Cynthia Donahey (cdonahey at freenet.columbus.oh.us) wrote:

: I've had those large Oriental praying mantises in my garden for some
: years.  They just appeared by themselves.  I did not introduce any egg
: cases.  I had something like 9 or 10 egg cases that fall of 93.  I had no
: praying mantises this summer at all.  I assume last winter was too cold
: for them.  I assume if I tried to get the smaller, native mantids - that
: this would be difficult.  Does anyone know how?  Since these egg cases are
: sold so commonly,  I'm also assuming at some point they would again
: recolonize my garden and wipe out the smaller mantids, if indeed I did try
: and reintroduce the smaller native ones.

: 	Also, is it mantises or mantids?
 Cynthia,

: Cindy
: Central Ohio

Or is it Cindy?

   Oh well, the answer to the last part is Praying mantids

   I have several books dealing with insects, unfortunately, so far I
don't have the one with your answer.  I'll keep looking unless one of the
university folks can tell you.  Stored product pests are my specialty.

   I've had years of experience with pests, I have little hope in finding
reference in my library collection on this one. Try calling OSU
agricultural extention office.  Or Franklin county extention.   Dr. Lyons
or someone over there is going to know about these.  Try OSU Horticulture
and Floriculture.  Believe me, there is an expert on anything you can
think of.  At least that has been my findings.
--
"We are irresistibly attracted by the very anxieties we find most
terrifying; we are drawn to them by a primitive excitement that arises