Microwaves action on milk for infants

Carol Ottolenghi-Barga cottbarg at freenet.columbus.oh.us
Mon Jan 9 07:01:24 EST 1995

Jim Hutchins (hutchins at fiona.umsmed.edu) wrote:
: Stephane Corteel (scorteel at resulb.ulb.ac.be) wrote:
: : As a young father (my baby now is 7 weeks old) I read a lot...
: : I've read (and some people also told me) that warwing up a feeding
: : bottle using a microwave oven is not recommended because the microwaves
: : cause molecular changes in some proteins of the milk.

: however.  Heating in the microwave tends to be uneven, and unless one
: is *very* careful to *completely* mix the bottle after heating, it is
: likely that the baby's mouth or digestive tract could be _severely_
: scalded by a zone of superhot milk surrounded by cooler milk.  The old

Jim's right about the uneven heating, but I've heard the rumor about
microwaves changing milk proteins also. I do know that serious cooks
consider microwaving bread a minor crime--it changes the consistency and
texture.
--
<carol>  email  <cottbarg at freenet.Columbus.Oh.US>