Microwave and milk

Giovanni Maga maga at vetbio.unizh.ch
Mon Jan 9 10:58:03 EST 1995

Stephane Corteel (scorteel at resulb.ulb.ac.be) wrote:
: As a young father (my baby now is 7 weeks old) I read a lot...
: I've read (and some people also told me) that warwing up a feeding
: bottle using a microwave oven is not recommended because the microwaves
: cause molecular changes in some proteins of the milk.

I find this difficult to believe; it is not clear to me how the
method of heating would have any effect at all.  Heating is heating,
as far as proteins are concerned.

If I am wrong about any of this, someone correct me.

Jim Hutchins

Dear Jim, I am not very smart in physics, but as far as I remember, the way
you gain heating by microwaves is far different from the conventional
heating, (it is a sort of "molecular friction"). This is probably the
reason way when you cook (for example) bread or something similar you will
never get it cooked as in a conventional oven. If this mechanism can induce
"unconventional modifications" in proteins I don't know, but I don't think
so, otherwise also adults would come in troubles eating modified proteins.
(I think very unlikely that MWs can cause chemical modifications or
closslinks at the aa level, they don't have the right energy, i.e.
wavelenght).
G. Maga, PhD Biochemistry UNI-Irchel ZŸrich.