Alien (The Movie)

Carlisle Landel landel at helios
Mon Jan 9 15:58:15 EST 1995

In article <D253n1.D7o at world.std.com>,
David W Wheat <Agblade at world.std.com> wrote:
>Cynthia Donahey (cdonahey at freenet.columbus.oh.us) wrote:

(snip)
>: the body cavities of certain spiders.  Now what I want to know is if the
>: monster in Alien is actually copied from the original, or did these people
>: make up their own monster?
>
>There are hundreds, probably thousands of species that parasitize other
>species by laying eggs in eggs, larvae, and adults.  There are parasites
>of parasites.  I am not familiar with any that have a life cycle like
>the aliens, where "facehuggers" emerge directly from alien eggs upon
>approach of a suitable host.  The facehuggers are mobile, too (see
>"Aliens").  Then the adult emerges from the host, but before consuming it.
>That doesn't sound like biology, but like "jumping out at you" fiction.
>However, there may be something in nature that works that way (using the
>host as a vector rather than a food source is common).
>Regards,
>David

One of the things that really bothered me about the Alien sequels was
that they started changing the life-cycle of the alien, which indeed
was originally very much like that of a parasitic wasp.  (This was even more
clear in the book version.)

Anyway, my recollection is that adult ticks climb up into bushes and
then go into some sort of stasis until a suitable host wanders by, and
then they wake up and jump onto their victim.

And there are also plenty of parasites that cycle between species at
different stages of the life cycle--malaria comes to mind--so that bit]
wasn't so far-fetched, either.

All-in-all, after seeing Alien, my response was that I sure was glad that
I'm not a spider!

Carlisle