Microwave and milk? Huuu

Hao Xiao haoxiao at cc.UManitoba.CA
Tue Jan 10 04:16:34 EST 1995

> > I find this difficult to believe; it is not clear to me how the
> > method of heating would have any effect at all.  Heating is heating,
> > as far as proteins are concerned.
> >
> > If I am wrong about any of this, someone correct me.
> >

> > Dear Stephane, I am not very smart in physics, but as far as I remember, the way
> > you gain heating by microwaves is far different from the conventional
> > heating, (it is a sort of "molecular friction"). This is probably the

 How different it is?  The heat is genrated by absorption of
electro-meganetic frequency, am I right? X-ray, gama, beta, alpha ray?,
UV, VIS, Infrared. What is the different of microwave from those
frequency in terms of cause of "poisoning"?

> > reason way when you cook (for example) bread or something similar you will
> > never get it cooked as in a conventional oven. If this mechanism can induce
> > "unconventional modifications" in proteins I don't know, but I don't think
> > so, otherwise also adults would come in troubles eating modified
proteins.

You are actually eating "modified" protein everyday!!! Heating, fast
electron-processing of food all involve free-radical generation but water
quenching them rapidly.

> > (I thinvery unlikely that MWs can cause chemical modifications or
> > closslinks at the aa level, they don't have the right energy, i.e.
> > wavelenght).
> > G. Maga, PhD Biochemistry UNI-Irchel Zrich.
>
> (Sorry, Jim. I understood you posted the question but I was wrong. he was
> Stephane.)

I am a Biology student seeking the answer