nutrition and intelligence

Luc.Krols krols at reks.uia.ac.be
Fri Jan 13 05:55:34 EST 1995

On Fri, 13 Jan 1995, Clemens Suter-Crazzolara wrote:

> > > Sounds like b***sh*t to me. Probably the placebo-effect, don't
> > > you think ?
> >
> > No, not at all. It is really quite clear to me. The glucose is the energy
> > and the vitamines are essential cofactors for the metabolism. Glucose
> > is very fast taken up into the blood and is the only substrate the brain
> > can metabolise. If you go under the 5 mM glucose border you will
> > start to feel dizzy and distracted and it takes some time for your
> > brains to recover.  Normally your liver takes care of the 5 mM. If it
> > reserves are not sufficient you will start to feel hungry. So, you will
> > need to eat. Everybody knows that you can't study with an empty stomach
> > nor with a full stomach. Doing this way, with the glucose, you can
> > permit to eat little to keep your intestins busy and yet you give
> > enough energy for those parts of your body that are really working while
> > you are studying: your brain. Together with the glucose you take up a lot
> > of wather which is a good carrier for the metabolites. I don't know how
> > you study, but have you ever calculated the effective
> > time per day that you were studying, without breaks or luchbreak? The
> > pure time that you are studying at your desk. In this way I could study
> > upto 16 effective hours per day. In this way information is soaked into
> > my brain. It works very good for me and for a friend with who I studied
> > together.
> > It is not very scientific to call this bullshit. As a biochemist I can
> > say that it has a biochemical and fysiologic basis.
> >
> > Luc
>
> Perhaps as a biochemist you could also cite some literature instead
> of experiments carried out on your self and 'a friend' ? Can you
> exclude that the sponge-like quality of your brain towards information
> isn't a placebo effect ?

The effect of glucose on the human brain is discribed widely in
literature. Try MEDLINE. Very interesting experiments have been carried
out on the effect of glucose and the quality of the sleep. Sleeping is a
very important part in studying. The brain reorganises information.
As for your so supposed placebo effect, If you more give fuel to an engine
and it runs faster, is it a placebo effect? It has nothing to do with
placebo's. Imagine a double blind controlled experiment, you don't need
much imagination to see that people without glucose will perform worse.

Luc