nutrition and intelligence

Luc.Krols krols at reks.uia.ac.be
Fri Jan 13 04:45:43 EST 1995

> > grenadine (=a lot of glucose, a color and a taste). It puts my brains in
> > a boost tempo and I could study for longer periods. I never studied
> > during the year so I had to study hard during the examination period. I
> > think the effect is mainly because of the glucose because for your
> > brains it is very important not to go under the 5 mM glucose level.
> >
> > Much fun.
> >
> > Luc
> >
> Sounds like b***sh*t to me. Probably the placebo-effect, don't
> you think ?

No, not at all. It is really quite clear to me. The glucose is the energy
and the vitamines are essential cofactors for the metabolism. Glucose
is very fast taken up into the blood and is the only substrate the brain
can metabolise. If you go under the 5 mM glucose border you will
start to feel dizzy and distracted and it takes some time for your
brains to recover.  Normally your liver takes care of the 5 mM. If it
reserves are not sufficient you will start to feel hungry. So, you will
need to eat. Everybody knows that you can't study with an empty stomach
nor with a full stomach. Doing this way, with the glucose, you can
permit to eat little to keep your intestins busy and yet you give
enough energy for those parts of your body that are really working while
you are studying: your brain. Together with the glucose you take up a lot
of wather which is a good carrier for the metabolites. I don't know how
you study, but have you ever calculated the effective
time per day that you were studying, without breaks or luchbreak? The
pure time that you are studying at your desk. In this way I could study
upto 16 effective hours per day. In this way information is soaked into
my brain. It works very good for me and for a friend with who I studied
together.
It is not very scientific to call this bullshit. As a biochemist I can
say that it has a biochemical and fysiologic basis.

Luc