purifying water using shredded horseradish-how?

Alan Kaiser alkaiser at er6.rutgers.edu
Thu Jan 12 20:37:51 EST 1995

In <D2BE8u.Anq at cix.compulink.co.uk> bjford at cix.compulink.co.uk ("Brian Ford") writes:

>Other organic substrates do this too, a bale of straw is said to have a
>similar effect. My view is that the answer may be microbial. Ciliate
>protists proliferate in such infusions, and these would consume
>pathogenic bacteria.

>Brian J Ford.

Purifying water! Running water through shredded horseradish or straw
will not give you "pure" water. If you are looking to get rid of
pathogens straw or horseradish might have some effect (most likely a
pH effect) but it certainly wouldn't be a sure thing. Also, I'm not
sure I'd want to drink the resulting water in either case.

Alan Kaiser			alkaiser at eden.rutgers.edu
Graduate Program in Microbiology and Molecular Genetics
Rutgers University               New Brunswick,NJ