nutrition and intelligence

Joerg Kirberg kirberg at
Fri Jan 13 03:53:47 EST 1995

In article <1995Jan12.095304.13700 at>, krols at
(Luc.Krols) wrote:

> A trick which was very usefull for me while I studied was to take a vitamine
> complex (mainly vitamin-B) together with a diluted glucose drink like
> grenadine (=a lot of glucose, a color and a taste). It puts my brains in
> a boost tempo and I could study for longer periods. I never studied
> during the year so I had to study hard during the examination period. I
> think the effect is mainly because of the glucose because for your
> brains it is very important not to go under the 5 mM glucose level.

Hi Luc,

you should mention that overdosing glucose will finally lead to a
glucose deprived state some ours later. It is therefor recommended
to take chocolate in small bits, not in one big portion. Your drink
was probably more suited as it was diluted !

Joerg Kirberg                     EMAIL: kirberg at
Basel Institute for Immunology    FAX:   41-61-605 13 72
Grenzacherstr. 487                PHONE: 41-61-605 12 77 (lab)
CH-4005 Basel