purifying water using shredded horseradish-how?

Alan Kaiser alkaiser at eden.rutgers.edu
Fri Jan 13 21:54:03 EST 1995

In <1995Jan14.020117.13559 at alw.nih.gov> bernard at elsie.nci.nih.gov (Bernard Murray) writes:

>> Easy:  Insert horseradish and water in a covered pot and boil for twenty
>> minutes.
>>
>Since I have a bias towards immunochemical techniques, when I hear
>"horseradish" I immediately associate it with "peroxidase".
>Could active oxygen species generated by HRP released from the
>horseradish be the active sterilising agent?  How about adding
>some catalase/SOD/antioxidants etc. to a control batch?
>I would also assume that *crushing* rather than boiling would
>be a more effective way of using the plants.

You missed the point of the humerous 1st post above. Maybe horseradish
does have an effect on bacteria but boiling for 20 minutes would
certainly kill anything in the solution! I'm sure it was also be far
more effective also.

Alan Kaiser			alkaiser at eden.rutgers.edu
Graduate Program in Microbiology and Molecular Genetics
Rutgers University               New Brunswick,NJ