Cell Culture

Brian A. Hollander afn08460 at FREENET.UFL.EDU
Sat Jan 14 03:18:36 EST 1995

In regard to #2 below, we use a PTFE-like material called Aclar,
originally described as a substrate for culture by Masurovsky and Bunge
(1968, Stain Tech. 63:161-165). I don't have the exact protocol here at
home but basically we treat it for a couple of hrs in 100% nitric acid
followed by H2O washes, then an overnight incubation in 7X detergent,
and sterilization by incubation in 100% ethanol. The pieces of aclar are
coated with collagen then poly-l-lysine. At one time Aclar was only
available from Allied Chemical (as I recall), but I think polysciences
now sells the stuff. Hope this helps, any questions about a more detailed
protocol can be put to me by e-mail and I'll try to answer.

BAH