purifying water using shredded horseradish-how?

Bernard Murray bernard at elsie.nci.nih.gov
Fri Jan 13 21:01:17 EST 1995

In article <Pine.3.89.9501131025.A22649-0100000 at alpha>, masinter at ALPHA.ACAST.NOVA.EDU (Michael MASINTER) writes:

> Easy:  Insert horseradish and water in a covered pot and boil for twenty
> minutes.
>
> Michael R. Masinter			3305 College Avenue
> Nova Southeastern University		Fort Lauderdale, Fl. 33314
> (305) 452-6151				masinter at alpha.acast.nova.edu

Since I have a bias towards immunochemical techniques, when I hear
"horseradish" I immediately associate it with "peroxidase".
Could active oxygen species generated by HRP released from the
horseradish be the active sterilising agent?  How about adding
some catalase/SOD/antioxidants etc. to a control batch?
I would also assume that *crushing* rather than boiling would
be a more effective way of using the plants.
	Oh yeah, what does the resultant water taste like?
			Bernard
(who hopes he never has to put the idea into practice)

Bernard Murray, Ph.D.