Need info on student computer labs

john markwell markwell at unlinfo.unl.edu
Sun Jan 15 10:48:16 EST 1995

We are in the process of completing a new building at the University
of Nebraska which will house Biochemistry, Biotechnology and
Microbiology units.  Adjacent to the teaching lab will be a student
computer lab expected to contain approx. 24 microcomputers.  Now is
the time for specific decisions about what to do with this room.

I would appreciate information on what has been done at other
institutions and any recommendations you may have.  We hope to be able
to utilize the lab as a formal part of our lecture and lab courses and
have it open for general student use on a regular basis.  Since we
don't currently have access to a computer lab on a regular basis, we
have only been doing a little biochemical modeling with spreadsheets
and demo programs to briefly look at protein structure.

Specifically, I am interested in the following:
1.  If you were going to purchase about July 1, would you go Mac, PC
or both?
2.  How do you handle security?
3.  What software do you recommend (it is assumed that all the
machines will be networked to a university server).
4.  Are there things we should consider about making the lab totally
open on a part time basis?
5.  What else should we be asking?

Thanks for all replies, information and help.

John Markwell, Dept. Biochem., University of Nebraska-Lincoln

markwell at unl.edu

--
John Markwell			Phone: 402-472-2924
Dept. Biochemistry		FAX:   402-472-7842