CALL FOR DISCUSSION: BIO-SRS/bionet.software.srs

Thure Etzold etzold at embl-heidelberg.de
Mon Jan 16 13:56:38 EST 1995

steipe at lmb.uni-muenchen.de (Boris Steipe) wrote:

> Why do you need a new group for SRS ?  I assume _everybody_ who would read
> bionet.software.SRS will also read bionet.software . I assume _nobody_ who
> reads
> bionet.software feels that SRS should not be discussed there. Thus if
> pretty much the same people read both groups, why do you need a separate
> group? The traffic is low anyway. I may be wrong but I don't see the
> _need_.

The traffic is still low since most people having questions or
problems write me or other persons in private ...I would love to have that traffic go
to a newsgroup since I keep writing the same responses all the time.

> I think there is actually more to say _against_ this new group: I'm afraid
> overlap between bionet.software.SRS and bionet.software would be
> considerable. So in the end, half the traffic in SRS will most likely be
> crossposted to the parent group, like we're seeing in so many other closely
> related groups already.

I disagree - most of the messages that I get are apparently
judged by the sender to be too specific for bionet.software otherwise
they would send them there.
I think the point is not just to move all postings related to SRS
from bionet.software to anothere newsgroup but to encourage people
to ask their questions in public. This concerns both users and people
maintaining SRS on their sites.

Thure Etzold