Amino Acids

Keith Robison robison at
Mon Jan 16 21:19:53 EST 1995

Bernard Murray (bernard at wrote:
: In article <jimgalt-1501951631580001 at>, jimgalt at (Jim Galt) writes:
: > I am writing a program to help people remember amino acid structures,
: > codes, etc. and I was wondering if anyone would like to share their tips
: > on how to remember which is which. Thank you in advance for your help.
: > Jim Galt

: As far as the one-letter amino acid codes are concerned, the original
: paper on the nomenclature (which I don't have to hand) gave a logical
: reason for most of the choices;

: I think W was chosen for tryptophan as the letter is suggestive of the
: double-ring indole structure.

It is a little known fact that this amino acid was discovered by
E. Fudd, Ph. D.  The correct pronunciation is tWyptophan.

Keith Robison
Harvard University
Department of Genetics / HHMI

robison at