Darwin

ahillar at your-servername.Lan1.UManitoba.CA ahillar at your-servername.Lan1.UManitoba.CA
Fri Jan 13 12:19:40 EST 1995

In article <3f4flv$6i2 at usenet.INS.CWRU.Edu> jxm66 at po.CWRU.Edu (Jennifer Merriman) writes:

>Can someone help me on Darwin's  origin of species by natural selection -
>I have to read it and don't understand it at all.

Jennifer,

Though I am by no means a card-carrying evolutionary biologist, I might
suggest you check out some of the  literature that dissects the "Origin" for
you. If you want a fast synopsis, you might try Eli Minkoff's "Evolutionary
Biology". It's a bit dated, but has a chapter that gives a complete synopsis
of the "Origin", chapter by chapter. The reason that most folks don't really
understand the "Origin of the Species" is that it dishes out examples almost
ad infinitum to hammer home the points Darwin tries to make. I would also
suggest you check out some books by Stephen Jay Gould, or Ernst Mayr's "One
Long Argument", they often give you insights into Darwin's worldview along
with explaining certain aspects of evolution by natural selection.

Alex

ahillar at bldgwall.lan1.umanitoba.ca