Amino Acids

Steve Chambers steve at chambers.ak.planet.co.nz
Tue Jan 17 21:26:17 EST 1995

In <jimgalt-1501951631580001 at pm035-11.dialip.mich.net> jimgalt at umich.edu (Jim Galt) writes:
>I am writing a program to help people remember amino acid structures,
>codes, etc. and I was wondering if anyone would like to share their tips
>on how to remember which is which. Thank you in advance for your help.
>Jim Galt

I've always been a great fan of sensibly devised mnemonics.  This got me
through Biochemistry and Molecular Biology - it must have worked 'cos I
still remember it.

 ____________________________ mnemonic - "Has a Saab"

|                ____________ mnemonic - "Salesmen Take Good And Valuable
|               |                         Lessons In Marketing Caravans
|               |                         For Your Weekends.  Price
|               |                         Diminishes Enjoyment (but) No
|               |                         Question Helps Kick Ratrace."
|               |

H Hydroxyl______S serine               Weakly    Hydrophobic
		T threonine            Polar          .
                                         .           /|\
A Aliphatic_____G glycine               /|\           |
		A alanine                |            |
		V valine                 |            |
		L luecine                |            |
		I isoleucine             |            |
                                         |            |
S Sulphur_______M methionine             |            |
   containing	C cysteine               |            |
                                         |            |
A Aromatic______F phenylalanine          |            |
		Y tyrosine               |            |
		W tryptophan             |            |
                                         |            |
S Secondary_____P proline                |            |
                                         |            |
A Acidic________D aspartic acid          |            |
		E glutamic acid          |            |
A Amide_________N asparagine             |            |
		Q glutamine              |            |
B Basic_________H histidine              .           \|/
		K lysine              Strongly        .
		R arginine             Polar     Hydrophilic

Good luck

Steve

p.s I think you guys call a caravan a "trailer."