Newts: Regenerate or Not

Warren Lathe madda at troi.cc.rochester.edu
Wed Jan 18 09:39:00 EST 1995

In <D2HFx0.C2F at boss.cs.ohiou.edu> dmccall at oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu (David Thomas Mccall) writes:

>I have a pet newt and his name is Jeff.  I just got him today and once I
>got him home I realized that his poor little newty leg is broken.  His
>bone is broken.  The bone is exposed and the only reason that it is still
>around is that it is hanging on by his little newt skin.  He is presently
>resting, but I imagine he is in great pain.

>My question is this:

>Do newts regenerate parts like some other animals?

If we are talking the Gingrich variety, lets hope not :-).  Otherwise, I think
they do, at least tails and probably legs, though there might be another
biologist out there who is more confident in his info.

>Should I do anything myself or let nature take it's course?

Tough choice.   Maybe a vet or petstore would have a better idea.

>How come there is no marine biology newsgroup?

Not enough  marine biologists on the net maybe?

>Is Led Zepplin going to reform the band?

Nope.

>Please let me know.

>Thanks,

>Dave

Trey

Warren C. Lathe III (Trey)
Biology Department
University of Rochester
email:  trey at thelab.biology.rochester.edu
        madda at troi.cc.rochester.edu
The juvenile seasquirt wanders through the sea searching for a suitable rock
or coral to cling to and make its home for life. For this task it has a
rudimentary nervous system. When it finds its spot and takes root, it
doesn't need its brain anymore so it eats it.It's rather like getting tenure.