Progeny of XY females

Heidi N LeBlanc leblanc at unixg.ubc.ca
Thu Jan 19 21:11:13 EST 1995

Kevin O'Donnell (odonnell at sasa.gov.uk) wrote:
: The sex tests routinely carried out on athletes occasionally throw up an
: example of a woman with a normal female phenotype but with an XY
: karyotype.  I assume that the Y chromosome is defective due to
: mutations in one or more important maleness-determining genes.  If such
: women are fertile (and I assume that this is the case), this means that the

Actually, I *think* that the cause of the female phenotype is actually a
defective testosterone receptor - the body can produce male levels of
the hormone, but can't 'pay attention' to it which can actually
increase the female characteristics of these people although they are
not fertile.  I have this from Genetics lectures given by Tony Griffiths
of text book fame, but I was a TA not a student so I wasn't always
paying complete attention. For what it's worth, there's a wild rumor
that Jamie Lee Curtis has this condition, and I read somewhere her
daughter is adopted.
: