Help on Meal Worms and Caffeine

nycity1 at interport.net nycity1 at interport.net
Fri Jan 20 17:07:46 EST 1995

Hi to all who chose to take the time to read this.
	I am currently a researcher doing ground breaking research having to do with
caffeine addiction/ and preference.  The problem I chose to research for a
science competition is to determine if meal worms (tenebrio molitor) will
carry over their preference for caffeine after going through the pupae stage
and metamorphosing into a beetle.  The basis of my experiment revolves around
the thesis that meal worms DO NOT already hold a natural predilection for
caffeine but WILL DEVELOP ONE.
	The thesis is to be tested in the first stage of my experiment by exposing
the meal worms to two groups of food, food absorbed in a caffeine solution and
the same food by itself.  In this stage, I will check to see which group of
food the meal worms prefer to eat from.  If the meal worms show the tendency
to avoid caffeinated food, the following procedures would be followed.
	The meal worms will be exposed to the caffeinated food for about three weeks.
 This will be done by dividing approximately forty meal worms into two groups;
one group will be exposed to food absorbed in caffeine and the other group
will act as a control being fed food not absorbed in caffeine.
	During the time that the meal worms go into their pupae stage and
metamorphose into a beetle, they do not need to be fed.
	The final stage of experimentation focuses on the main idea of my experiment.
 It is during this stage that i will test the prob;em to determine whether
ONLY the meal worms who were exposed to caffeine when they were larvae
continue to have thier preference for caffeinated food when they are now
beetles.
	ANY help, suggestions, ideas will greatly be appreciated. I will be sure to
include you in my findings.  If you can please e-mail at my address at:
				NYCity1 at interport.net
because I don't frequent this newsgroup too often.  Thank you !! (Danny)