NEED HELP ON MEAL WORMS and CAFFEINE ADDICTION

nycity1 at interport.net nycity1 at interport.net
Sun Jan 22 17:04:14 EST 1995

Hello to those who took the time to read this posting.
	I am a high school student who is currently doing ground-breaking research
having to do with drug addiction.  I am at the beginning of my research and am
SEEKING ADVICE, INPUT, SUGGESTIONS, or what YOU THINK WILL HAPPEN with
the following experiment:
	The problem that I am currently investigating is to determine if meal worms
(tenebrio molitor) will carry over their preference for caffeine after going
through the pupae stage and metamorphosing into a beetle.  The basis of my
experiment revolves around the thesis that meal worms DO NOT already hold a
natural prediliction for caffeine but will DEVELOP ONE.
	This thesis is to be tested in the first stage of my experimentation by
exposing the meal worms to two groups of food, food absorbed in a caffeine
solution and the same food by itself.  In this stage, I will check to see
which food the meal worms prefer to eat from.  If the meal worms show the
tendency to avoid caffeinated food, the following procedures would be
followed.
	The meal worms will be exposed to the caffeinated food for about
three weeks. This will be done by dividing approximately forty meal worms into
two groups; one group will be exposed to food absorbed in caffeine and the
other group will act as a control being fed food not absorbed in
caffeine.
	During this time that the meal worms go into their pupae stage and
metamorphose into a beetle, they do not need to be fed.
	The final stage of my experimentation focuses on the main idea of my
experiment.  It is during this stage that I will test the problem to determine
whether ONLY the meal worms who were exposed to caffeine when they were larvae
continue to have their preference for caffeinated food when they are now
beetles.  (This can be thought similar to the idea of a crack addict coming
out of a three yoear coma...will he/she die, or live with or without the
addiciton.)	At this point, I am looking for other information from anyone.
Hints,suggestoins, input, anything...PLEASE.  I will be glad to keep in touch
with you to notify you of my progress.  IF YOU WOULD JUST BE ABLE TO E-MAIL
ME INSTEAD OF POSTING A REPLY FOR I DO NOT FREQUENT HERE TOO OFTEN.
			 Thank you,
                   			Danny
                                              e-mail at:  NYCity1 at interport.net

            All advice will be given credit to after the publication
of my journal.