BIO-SRS/bionet.software.srs

Niels Larsen niels at phylo.life.uiuc.edu
Mon Jan 23 21:32:33 EST 1995

una at doliolum.biology.yale.edu (Una Smith) writes:

>I think a mailing list would be more appropriate at this time,
>given the relatively low number of SRS sites.

The SRS system certainly deserves a newsgroup.  It is probably the
single most important (recent) initiative in molecular sequence
analysis; all major databases are becoming integrated, and the stage
is set for much more.  Current traffic (or number of sites..)
unfortunately decides too often whether a newsgroup is justified: One
posting may be much more important than others, one nobody would want
to miss.  At the same time there are messages in groups that only
wastes the time of almost everybody to the point they decide to not to
follow.  I wish a tree of groups was laid out, traffic or not, by
scientific subject, then newcomers like me could easier figure where
to look.
                                                     Niels L

|  Niels Larsen, PhD                 E-mail niels at darwin.life.uiuc.edu   |
|  Department of Microbiology        Phone  (217)-333-9369               |
|  University of Illinois            Fax    (217)-244-6697  (shared)     |
|  131 Burrill Hall                                                      |
|  407 South Goodwin Avenue                                              |
|  Urbana, IL 61801, U.S.A.                                              |
|                            (home)                                      |
|  1001 Ross Drive               Phone/fax  (217)-356-5451  (ans mach)   |
|  Champaign, IL 61821, U.S.A.       Phone  (217)-356-3572               |