Una Smith una at
Tue Jan 24 11:48:38 EST 1995

niels at (Niels Larsen) writes:

>The SRS system certainly deserves a newsgroup.  It is probably the
>single most important (recent) initiative in molecular sequence
>analysis ...

Arguments for a newsgroup that are based on some intrinsic merit
(imagined or real) of the *topic* of the newsgroup are elitist and
insensitive to, and thus potentially wasteful of, the Internet
resources that would be consumed.

The SRS system certainly merits a dedicated forum, because users of
the system clearly want one.  But does it "deserve" a *newsgroup*?
Nothing I've seen posted in this thread supports that contention.

Start with a mailing list, and show, by the readership and volume
of discussion there, that a newsgroup would be an efficient use of
Internet resources.

	Una Smith			una.smith at