CALL FOR DISCUSSION: DIAGNOSTICS/bionet.diagnostics

ctfaulkn at utkvx.utk.edu ctfaulkn at utkvx.utk.edu
Fri Jan 27 00:55:41 EST 1995

In Article <3g1hqi$gro at net.bio.net>
BIOSCI Administrator <biosci-help at net.bio.net> writes:
>We have received a proposal below for a new newsgroup,
>Proposal to establish DIAGNOSTICS/bionet.diagnostics
>The DIAGNOSTICS newsgroup (bionet.diagnostics) is a forum for
>discussion of problems and techniques (primarily serological or
>nucleic acid-based) involved in all fields of diagnostics.  Subjects
>for discussion and comment include methodology, automation, quality
>assurance and other subjects of interest and concern to those
>developing and/or using diagnostic tests.

	I think this group could be useful to a variety of scientists
engaged in diagnositic work. I hope that it will not become exclusively
devoted to molecular diagnostics. I work in a diagnostic parasitology
laboratory and it would be nice if there was a forum available for sharing
information about diagnostic products of parasites (eggs, larvae, oocysts
cysts, and trophozoites). Other issues regarding sensitivity, specificity an
predicitve values of diagnostic tests (indirect (immunodiagnostic) and direct
(microfilariae concentration)) could also benefit from increased discussion
by those who are engaged in this work on a daily basis.   In short, I would
be interested in hearing from others who would consider participating in this
group.  Perhaps the RFD could be cross posted to bionet. parasitology.

Good luck!!

     *  Charles T. Faulkner, M.A.                   *
     *  Clinical Parasitology Service               *
     *  Dept. of Comparative Medicine               *
     *  P.O. Box 1071                               *
     *  Knoxville, TN 37901-1071                    *
     *  Voice: (615) 974-5645  Fax: (615) 974-5640  *
     *  E-Mail: ctfaulkn at utkvx.utk.edu              *