Hearing loss info?

john nelson jnelson at blue.weeg.uiowa.edu
Fri Jan 27 13:04:19 EST 1995

Yes, there is a relationship between sound exposure and hearing loss.  I
cannot think of a specific article at this moment.  There are also
hearing protection devices available for all listening situations (the
best of course to decrese the sound source).  Acutally, orchestra members
have been known to suffer hearing loss due to the close proximity certian
insturments (e.g., brass, percussion).  Most earplugs attenuate the high
frequencies more than the low frequencies.  This is fine for most
situations, as most hearing loss occurs from the higher frequency
exposure (e.g. guns).  Musicians commonly reject these devices as it changes
the frequency response of the signal reaching the ear.  Recently,
"Muscian's Earplugs" have been developed (Mead Killion, Etomotic
Research, 708-228-0006) that provide a "flat" attenuation across
frequency.  These devices should be available from any audiologist.  I
currently have a set of these earplugs and am quite pleased.
John A. Nelson, M.Aud., CCC-A