Need Advice about Neurosurgery

eddie monroe emonroe at blue.weeg.uiowa.edu
Sat Jan 28 17:48:39 EST 1995

My 20 year old brother had an MRI yesterday because of loss of hearing in
his right ear and we were surprised to find out he has a "large right
acoustic neuroma with brain compression."  The local doctor recommended
that neurosurgery be performed as soon as possible at a specialized site
because of the large size of the tumor.  Three sites around the country
were recommended.

I want to make sure he gets the best possible care and am looking for
second opinions concerning the best facility to take him to.  If you are
knowledgeable in this area, could you please give advice concerning the
best site.  Specifically, what site and to which neurosurgeon would you
take your son or daughter if he or she required such an operation.

Thank you very much; your consultation is much appreciated.