Mitosis/S phase

Rich Young young at
Sun Jan 29 17:32:07 EST 1995

In article <3ggu46$2nb at> purves at (Bill Purves) writes:

>In article <3gevlo$ht at>,

>Richard S. Sterling Jr. <rsjr at> wrote:
>>What does the S in the S phase of mitosis stand for?
>S = synthesis
>>Also what does PH stand for, I know what is just not what the
>>P and H stand for.
>pH = p(otential) of H(ydrogen)

	Along the same line, while I believe that the lower-case "m" in
	mRNA means "messenger" and the lower-case "r" in rBST means
	"recombinant", I am at a loss to figure out what the "c" in
	cDNA means.

	Would some kind soul take the time to expand on the meaning of
	these lower-case prefixes?

	Thanks, from someone at the shallow end of the genetic pool.

- Rich Young