The need of salt-tablets in the desert

Mon Jan 30 11:21:28 EST 1995

In article <klomberg.1.001577FD at> klomberg at (Matthieu_Klomberg) writes:

>I have a question. If a man stays for a while in the desert, does he need
>salt-tablets to stay alive if there is a short of water.

>Does salt reduces the intake of water?
>It looks contradictionary.

>Waiting for any reply,

While there is a need for replenishment of ions lost due to excessive
sweating, taking salt tablets would have a detrimental effect with low water
intake.  I was informed that the salt would pull water out of the body and
cause even further dehydration.  Normal ion levels can be maintained by
regular eating, but taking salt-tablets instead of normal drinking will
speed up dehydration and cause death much faster.

William F. Romano