Itching theory?

Clemens Suter-Crazzolara un691cs at genius.embnet.dkfz-heidelberg.de
Tue Jan 31 10:25:32 EST 1995

> Recently I got a electric toothbrush and have noticed an unusual phenomenon
> of an itching noise at one location of my mouth while brushing.  The itch
> is so intense I have to stop brushing and scratch my noise.
>
> Theory:  The vibration at a specific location relative to other
> oscillations in neural tissue will create interference either
> constructive or destructive that creates chaos in normal stimulation
> and inhibitory circuits resulting in the sensation of an itch.
>
> Comments . . . . .
> Ron Blue

hmmmm. perhaps the mechanical movement of the toothbrush gives rise
to a vibration of the connective tissue which starts oscilating
at its own frequency, which signal is then recognized by the
facial neurons, upon which the brain finds a difference in frequency
between toothbrush and facial tissue, and this together is then
interpreted as an itch close to the nose ?

any ideas ?
clemens