Why are squirrels dropping branches?

James Mahaffy mahaffy at dordt.edu
Mon Jul 3 09:25:58 EST 1995

Folks,

     My neighbor, Marv W., over here in NW Iowa, wondered if
anyone could tell him why the common red squirrel keeps chewing
off little branches from his maple tree and dropping them to the
ground.  He thought they were after the plant juices.  My
biological guess was they do it more for wearing down their
incisors, but that is just a guess.  Does anyone really know?

thanks

--
:
James F. Mahaffy                   e-mail: mahaffy at dordt.edu