Needing advice on how to start a career in biocomputing

VALLAN VALLAN at ubeclu.unibe.ch
Mon Jul 3 16:28:08 EST 1995

Dear netters,

apparently in the foreseeable future there will be a boom in bioinformatics
with an increasing demand for people which are able to integreate biology
and computer sciences. Now I am asking myself how I could become one of
those people.

I am 32 years old and finished my Ph.D. last December. I was (and still am)
working on the regulation of compensatory growth induced after pneumonectomy
in the rat. I was trained both, in molecular and cell biological techniques,
but now I would like to broaden my knowledge on other subjects. During my
licentiate I had studied informatics for two years (second year as subsidiary
subject) and finished with a subsidiary diploma on the topic. This was five
years ago, though, and since then I employed computers only as a user.

Now I am looking for possibilities to both, refresh my knowledge of computer
sciences and combine these with biological subjects. Could somebody help me
with some suggestions how best to perform this? Does perhaps somebody even
have a postdoctoral position to offer or knows of people that I should
contact? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Claudio Vallan

                                     Claudio Vallan, Ph.D.
                                     Institute of Anatomy