HELP!! NEED ADVICE FOR POND ALGAE

nbf2 at Lehigh.EDU nbf2 at Lehigh.EDU
Wed Jul 5 11:28:52 EST 1995

Hello-

I'm stumped, I have a B.S. in Environmental Marine Science but not too much
experience in freshwater ecosystems.  There is a pond at my home that used to
be a mine-hole.  Every year it would purge brown and green algae - typical
stuff - easily killed off with copper sulfate.  The last two years the purge
has not occurred but instead a green seed has covered the pond starting in May
and it dies out in September.  The water is crystal clear under this layer of
seed, so I have ruled out a tannic acid reaction or form of algae.  I've never
seen anything like this before.  The color is kelly green and the size is
about .5 mm in diameter and feels like sand.  We have been skimming it off for
approx. two hours each day but it doesn't see to be diminishing (either the
bloom is over and the layer is thinning out or it keeps producing??????)  The
pond is stocked with catfish, carp, bass, and sonneys.  The carp seem to be
feeding on this seed but like I said before the quantity of it is not
decreasing.  The only environmental change in the area is a housing development
that has been introduced which is about 300 yards from our property.  Another
kicker is that our pond is not the only one like this, we have seen this seed
on other ponds in the area anywhere from our house (Whitehall, PA) all the way
up to Scranton, PA.  Plus, a friend of ours has two ponds on their property
and one is covered with this seed and the other isn't!!! figure that out!
That piece of info leads me to believe that it is a water chemistry thing...
ANY SUGGESTIONS OR CLUES AS TO WHAT THIS IS?????

PLEASE EMAIL ME AT NBF2 at LEHIGH.EDU                THANKS!!!!!

                    Natalie
                    nbf2 at lehigh.edu