Greyscale sensitiveness of the human eye

Ingo Reise reise
Wed Jul 12 08:14:10 EST 1995

I'm searching for information on the sensitiveness of the human eye to

I've been told, that the human eye is able to separate 64 grey-scales.
But there should be a set of colors, or more precisely, shades of one color,
on which the eye is able to separate more levels.
My information is, that these colors are called glowing-colors, or something
like that.

Please, could anyone give me a hint where to get information about these
colors, or related information?

Ingo Reise
Robert-Kirchhoff-Strasse 55    Lehrstuhl fuer Informatik II
97076 Wuerzburg                Universitaet Wuerzburg
Tel. 0931/273597               e-mail: reise at